[cma-l] Ofcom Report - Ensuring a nation of connected citizens

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Fri Oct 31 12:30:50 GMT 2014

Dear All

Over the past ten years there have been a number of people who have laughed
at me, had little swipes, dismissed the 'rants'  (if that is what one wants
to call them)   but alas, folk are missing the crux of the matter as it is
all coming to fruition .. All the things I said are coming true, they have
been correct from the outset and the fundamentals that we need to flourish
have been turned into a debacle and certain members of the DCMS etc etc
Ed being one of them in my opinion, have just treated Community Radio with
contempt as if we are something that gets stuck under your shoe.

Let me point out quite clearly that those areas where Community Radio may
have failed, we have failed not because of our own efforts and determination
but because of others who are sat in Ivory Towers on High Horses creating
completely unworkable situations.

I will say my usual saying ''wake up and smell the coffee'' and start
listening to the people at ground level who know what they are talking
about. The people who have come through the difficulties, the restrictions,
the lack of funding, the juggling, the spinning of 35 plates, the volunteers
who are doing 85 jobs a week . they are the ones that matter NOT the
Commercial cowboys, they can look after themselves. Oh and folk like me who
work 80 hours a week and get paid for 30. By the way, I'm not complaining, I
wouldn't change it for the World . the complaint is about the 'situation in
genral'

Sorry for the rant again, but hear me out, we will end up having to do it
the way I have suggested since the outset, because if we don't we will all
fail. Of course there are success stories   Swindon for one   the fact that
a lot of us function at a limp but still deliver the goods is in itself a
success story, but we could do better . take the chains and shackles off
re:- frequency / restrictions / bureaucracy / unnecessary workload   etc
and watch us flourish. It's not how we earn our crust, it is what we spend
the money on that matters.

Oh, and by the way, those who have projects in place for the next five years
but their licence runs out in two, give them an extension to their licence
NOW !   we certainly don't want to put more work in to then have the carpet
pulled out from under us in 2017 because some back door Commercial outfit
have got their beady eyes on the licence, which trust me, is happening.

Help those who deserve it, please Mr Vaizey.

Thank you

Regards

Nick

  _____