[cma-l] Fwd: Ofcom to invite small scale DAB testers

Clive Glover clivegloveruk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 12:19:36 BST 2014

Sorry to put a dampener on this but OFCOM have told us they will NOT be providing equipment and period for experiment will be shorter than suggested in article. Our initial back of envelope costing is £5K plus for equipment but could be more in many locations, especially if you need more than one transmitter to cover designated area.

Worse -  if the experimental period is short and any subsequent decision to change the existing Broadcasting Act to allow this type of system takes (as usual) many months or even years, then the expenditure on equipment will be largely wasted (not least because the experimental areas and stations may not be awarded licenses in the end anyway).

The only way this will work is for someone - and OFCOM would be the most obvious, perhaps funded by DCMS - to purchase or lease equipment. If they thought about it they could probably get some funds from the Business Dept or the EU I suspect, doing what we all do in putting together grant applications for projects!  Maybe the CMA could take  a lead on pushing for this?

Clive Glover