[cma-l] Extending Community Radio on FM

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 09:31:52 BST 2014

There's another aspect here which we might be missing - well two really.We as broadcasters - controlled by our eminent Regulator - can only provide a finite signal at a strength measured by whichever method we choose to employ - and there are points there which need to be clarified.What we have no control over as Alex says is "clutter" - whatever that may constitute and which in reality is legion and unpredictable - and the efficiency or indeed the format of receiver function.If we assume the concept of planar rather than particle propagation then the antenna should correspond in orientation and resonant length with the incoming signal for an optimal result.We all know I think that this simply doesn't happen with a portable radio because the consumer has no concept of the requirement - and indeed why should he?But with an external antenna those two requirements are (hopefully) correctly fulfilled.So we have three major attenuation factor areas - Specific site clutter (impossible to predict)Antenna/signal alignment (small element of control)Antenna efficiency (indeterminate for portable equipment)The fourth of course is receiver selectivity which is probably poor and equally indeterminate.We're on a lose/lose status here and we can do nothing about the risk level.The only significant thing we can do within the power/protection/launch height parameters we are given and of course our financial constraints is to very carefully plan the format we use for launching our signal.To quote PMQs - "I refer my honourable friends to the answer I gave a few moments ago":FM stations using 25W vertical only = 152 (72%)FM stations using balanced mixed polarity = 37 (18%)FM stations licensed for but not using mixed polarity = 157 (75%)The words "horse" and "hobby" come to mind - sorry!