[cma-l] Community & Local Radio - the Digital Issue

James Cridland james at cridland.net
Mon Nov 17 10:18:40 GMT 2014

Thanks for this, Alex.

My "DRM+" comment was because the initial document in this thread
recommended it as a solution. It's a great technical solution, but it isn't
a good fit when you consider the market.

I'm deliberately not meaning "industry-led". I'm meaning "market-led",
where the market includes consumers, receiver manufacturers, car
manufacturers, retailers and an awareness of the media marketplace, as well
as technologists and as well as the industry. This is something that the
writer of the original paper has ignored, and that's disappointing. He's
clearly passionate, but naïve to assume that there is an appetite for
another broadcast radio platform. He's downright damaging to the industry
to claim that community radio should move to DRM+ at this point in its
development.

DAB was initially designed for audio clarity (especially on the move); but
most consumers didn't care about that, so after a while, we now have DAB
being used as a method of broadcasting more choice - including, uniquely in
the UK, more content providers. I agree that DAB+ is preferable: it's the
standard everywhere else, after all - and argued strongly for the BBC to
take the plunge and begin adopting it during my time there. My idea was to
move simulcast stations over to DAB+ as soon as possible, which would have
had the effect of not reducing any listener choice. However, this damages
the "50% total hours via digital radio" target for switchover, and
therefore - in spite of it being the right way to move to DAB+ - didn't
answer the main requirement for the broadcasters, and that's to remove dual
transmission costs.

I agree with you about hybrid radio, and the benefits. That's why I spent a
lot of personal time and money getting RadioDNS off the ground.

*>>I'm not aware of any radios that even offer the obvious option of
switching between FM and DAB (and network/DTV as well I guess) according to
which is giving the best reception of a chosen programme service.<<*

It is obvious, but also rather difficult to achieve. My last car's DAB
radio did this (I bought it in 2004), and flicked between DAB and FM in a
relatively non-satisfactory way. The BBC turned that facility off (because
listening on FM doesn't help the 50% target, and because each platform has
different delays).

Selected new Samsung Galaxy phones contain a RadioDNS-compliant FM tuner
that allows a listener to automatically flick to Internet Radio if the FM
signal disappears - and back again. It also adds images and more
information.

Hope all that helps. Cut down on the personal accusations, and focus on the
discussion, and it's a much more interesting conversation, I think.

james.cridland.net