[cma-l] FM or DAB?

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 13:02:25 GMT 2014

Apologies - for "Ku band" please read "L band".
From: transplanfm at hotmail.com
To: cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Subject: FM or DAB?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 08:31:10 +0000

One of our overseas correspondents here has drawn my attention to the situation in Denmark:http://digitalradioinsider.blogspot.co.uk/I outlined my view to him as follows:Most of our work is in facilitating small-scale FM stations - but that's not why I appear to be so carping about DAB. Firstly the Media and to a great extent the Industry seem to use the term "DAB" to mean all possible formats of DTR - Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting - whereas it's just one - and an arcane and inflexible one at that.Also there seems to be a headlong lemming-like rush to "something digital" when Band II VHF/FM is perfectly workable and acceptable for most domestic broadcasting and is in world-wide use.Band III and Ku band digital broadcasting is effectively not far beyond the trial stage as there is no world-wide agreement either with broadcasters or manufacturers.The UK and certain other countries chose to put in place the first commercially-possible system and have found that it isn't future-proof.I love the idea of what digital broadcast radio can do - but pushing it in the DAB format alone as the killer of FM is unworkable and idiotic.