[cma-l] Feedback from Ofcom meeting

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri May 23 13:21:38 BST 2014

Excellent progress Phil - thank you.
Following on from your paragraph below about Member participation, for the future it would be useful if you could give Members a week's notice so that external input could be incorporated into the discussion.
Regarding this meeting's content:
DCMS Legislation - I'm sure I'm not alone in my frustration at the perennially poor response from the DCMS to the demand for legislation change. With great respect for your efforts in this area, words like "hopefully" and "sometime" do nothing to engender hope out here.
Can't someone ask Maria Miller directly when we'ere going to get what we need?
Licence renewal:
Do I understand that there is a stop on ten years?
Low-cost DAB:
Those of us who contributed technical input at the last meeting will make a representation as to where we see the future.
CR Application Status:Ofcom is very poor at keeping us up to speed with where it is - maybe because it doesn't like to admit that it's continuously falling behind schedule./
RSL timing - nominated 24 hour periods:
Good point - that hadn't come up with us.In addition though we need to know why the overall RSL policy has had some sneaky changes.It was always so that 25W was available unless there was a good reason to reduce it and that the target area was specified in the Application rather than being confined to a ridiculously small circular radius which cannot be achieved in real life. Also there was no restriction as to frequencies - 87,6 to 87,9 were always available almost on demand - but others were searched for if requested by the Applicant and in most cases were awarded.Now - 10W only - 87.7 or 87.9 only - 1km radius only - practically useless for a realistic commercial trial.Can you blame operators for upping the power when no-one's watching?
One more that has come up here and is raising hackles:
Why is Ofcom refusing to deal with non-Ramadan Applicants irrespective of its artificial deadline applied to Ramadan applications. An important Arts Festival - not announced until after the deadline -  that we were hoping to facilitate was refused a licence with a clear 11 weeks for Ofcom to do its clearances.
Ian