[cma-l] Ofcom factsheet on pirate radio

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 15:07:46 GMT 2014

Revised submission:

Naturally my interest was concentrated when I saw this heading because haveing to put up with powerful illegal broadcasters is a continual headache in Community Radio.
I hoped I might see some heartwarming encouragement.
1 - Around 100 illegal operators we're told, 370 complaints and 26 responses in 2013 - but how many successful prosecutions/fines/imprisonments?
2 - Community Radio is a legitimate alternative to pirates?
Yes, one or two ex-pirates are now CR Licensees, but those were the very few who were really trying to do a responsible job but in a way that was shown to be hazardous. Most seem to have no intention of taking that route. There are long-established pirates in London, Birmingham and all the northern conurbations who have not only been going for years but appear to be supported by their local authorities and in some cases by the Police as well.

We've recently helped out two hard-working CR projects in the Birmingham area which have experienced theft and damage by pirates and are simply not supported at all by their respective authorities. Pirate antennas are blatantly obvious on nearby buildings and some Councils seem oblivious to the basic requirements of the very CR stations who are affording them unique assistance in doing their job.
It appears to us working hard to further the cause of CR out here in the sticks that Ofcom needs more motivation from Government, more money and more manpower to get rid of these blatant law-breakers and (in most cases) criminals and to allocate the frequencies thay have been using for years to legitimate broadcasters.

Ian