[cma-l] Press release: Siren FM and the Lincoln School of Journalism ‘Bridges’ divide in Moldova

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jun 30 16:33:00 BST 2014

++ PRESS RELEASE ++

*Monday 30th June 2014*

*Siren FM and the Lincoln School of Journalism ‘Bridges’ divide in Moldova *

The first joint radio programme ever produced by journalists from East and
West of the Nistru/Dniester River went on air in the Eastern European
country yesterday evening, facilitated by experts from Lincoln’s first
community radio station, Siren FM and the School of Journalism at the
University of Lincoln.

Andrew David, manager of Siren FM, and Deborah Wilson David from the
Lincoln School of Journalism were consultants for the Council of Europe,
working with national broadcasters towards this historic broadcast.

Over this last year, Andrew and Deborah were invited to lead training
sessions, alongside a consultant formerly from Radio France Internationale,
teaching national radio broadcasters from the Romanian language ‘Radio
Moldova’ and Russian language ‘Radio 1’ (Tiraspol). Working through
translators Andrew and Deborah taught masterclasses, and spent time in both
national broadcast institutions, advising on journalism and radio
programming style, structure and content.

The Eastern European country had been working towards greater integration
following a military conflict which ended in 1992. Deborah’s first visit,
last summer, was the first where the broadcasters from the East and West
had agreed to work together. She said: “I found that quite daunting, I’m a
journalist, broadcaster and educator – not a diplomat. But it was the most
inspiring time, working with such talented and committed people who were so
open to new ideas and genuinely pleased to put political differences aside
and work together towards a common aim.”

Andrew David said: “Being approached in a situation such as this, so much
more than simply broadcast training, meant that the stakes were high – and
we were worried that the recent tensions in Ukraine would bring to an end
all the progress we had made. We are thrilled that the project has finally
taken off and all credit to the Council of Europe for making this happen.”

Deborah added: “If all goes to plan we hope the Council of Europe will
bring some of these journalists over to Lincoln later this summer so we can
take their training further in conjunction with Siren FM.”

This is the first joint project of the radio journalists from “Radio
Moldova” and “Radio 1” since 1990, made possible by the assistance provided
by the Council of Europe “Confidence Building Measures across the River
Nistru/Dniester” Programme, with financial support from the Austrian
Development Cooperation. The joint radio programme, entitled “Bridges”,
will be aired simultaneously on both stations on the last Sunday of every
month at 7.05 pm (Moldovan time) on FM and online. The first programme was
about tourism sites on both banks of the Nistru/Dniester River.

Andrew David | Managing Editor, Siren FM
College of Arts
University of Lincoln. Brayford Pool, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. LN6 7TS
tel: +44 (0)1522 886001 | mobile: +44(0)7525 873622

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video
http://www.canstream.co.uk/
https://twitter.com/canstream