[cma-l] Community Radio Licence Applications

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 22 10:48:12 BST 2014

We are in contact with a number of CR Applicants who find that they are in area where Ofcom has said there is limited or no availability of FM frequencies.We have suggested that the following rider (or one with similar wording) is placed in a prominent position in the Application Document.Anyone who is in the same situation is very welcome to use all or part of this text and we have no objection to its being specified as originating from transplan UK if that is thought to be advantageous.Ian HicklingPartnertransplan UK
This Application is submitted under
the restriction imposed by Ofcom that there is limited or no availability of FM
frequencies for our proposed service area.

We have strong doubts over the
coverage capability, cost-effectiveness and acceptability to the audience of an
AM service which together with the substantially higher installation cost would
result in an unworkable business model.

Whilst fully appreciating that
Ofcom cannot carry out a spectrum audit in every possible applicant location we
have commissioned our own prepared by an Ofcom-listed Transmission Provider
which indicates that there are several points in Band II where a low-power
transmitter could be inserted without unduly affecting existing broadcasters’
coverage.

We therefore request that
Ofcom look closely at this specific area based on the information we have submitted
and determine a suitable FM frequency for the coverage required to provide our
proposed service, in line with H M Government’s expressed intention of there
being the opportunity for a Community Radio Station for every location in the
UK.