[cma-l] Frequency Availablity for CR stations

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:44:00 BST 2014

In anticipation of coverage of this subject in the Conference on the 14th I have today written to the relevant Officer of Ofcom as follows:
There appears to be a widespread
assertion by Ofcom that there are either no or very few FM frequencies
available in a number of areas for potential Community Radio stations.

We have been contacted by potential Applicants in
several of these areas and as part of our normal service we have carried out
scans of spectral occupancy at locations where the
Applicant's transmitter is planned to be located.

In every case we have found a number of unoccupied
channels which would be suitable for a low-power service, even when taking into
account Ofcom's current stringent protection factors.

It is we suggest unacceptable for Ofcom to state
that out of a total of 204 possible FM channels in for example an area
receiving 9 major radio services and another 21 usable broadcasts, that at
least 1 of the 24 frequencies we have identified is completely impossible to
press into use for a local 50W transmitter.

We do however accept that it would be completely
unreal for Ofcom to carry out an on-site scan for available frequencies in
every possible UK location - or to do so on receipt of every CR Application;
but we suggest that it is equally unreal for Ofcom to issue blanket denials of
capacity over such generalised wide areas.

Another point here is that for Ofcom to suggest
that AM is a feasible alternative to FM for Community Radio in the UK is from
every conceivable practical viewpoint somewhere between misguided and
a serious deception.

In attempting to facilitate  as many Community Radio stations as
possible - not just because it produces revenue for our business -
but because it goes towards fulfilling a clear and laudable Government
initiative - we are carrying out a realistic on-site occupancy scan for every
potential CR Applicant who contacts us.

I trust that Ofcom
will conscientiously receive and analyse each one of these in good
faith and with an open mind as part of its Statutory Duty, regardless of
any perceived time or manpower considerations.
Your comments would be appreciated.Many thanksIan Hickling