[cma-l] More Ofcom Investigations: Speech to Music Ratio

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 14:13:58 BST 2014

I've been reading a few Ofcom Broadcast Bulletins. It's very surprising that
several CR stations have been found in breach of their Key Commitments
because of not meeting their Speech to Music Ratio.

The Daytime Speech Ratio is not that difficult to calculate;

1)      Ofcom specify Daytime between 6am - 7pm unless in your application /
Key Commitments you have otherwise i.e. 7am - 7pm.

2)      For the calculation Speech does not include Adverts, Sponsorship
Messages or Programme Trails.

3)      Over a 12 hour day and for a typical clock which includes 12 minutes
of stuff which can't be used, a 20% ratio means you'll need around 2 hours
of speech a day. For 30% you need nearly 3 hours a day

What to do about it?

1)      Do nothing -  Ofcom don't have the resources to monitor every CR
station. They are duty bound though to investigate if someone suggests that
a station is operating outside its Key Commitments.

2)      You could talk to Ofcom if you have temporary issues meeting the Key
Commitments - staffing for example

3)      You could schedule a speech programme to safely increase the ratio.
Either do you own or get on the distribution of a professional media
company.

I wouldn't want our 30 minute speech programme to be used either as a filler
or temporarily, but neither should resource strapped stations find
themselves under investigation for not fixing a simple problem.

If you want to make sure you permanently meet your Speech Ratio Key
Commitment send me an email and I'll put you on the programme distribution
list.

Kind Regards

Alan

 <http://www.letstalkbusinessonline.com/> Hear Alan Every Week on Let's Talk
Business The UK's Premier Radio Programme For Current and Future
Entrepreneurs - Now Broadcast To 4.3 Million People

Email -  <mailto:alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk> alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk

Phone - 0800 949 6655

Mobile - 07801 518858

Twitter -  <http://www.twitter.com/TheAlanCoote> @TheAlanCoote

Web -  <http://www.5digital.co.uk/> http://www.5digital.co.uk

cid:image001.gif at 01CE03CD.223AC920

The Media Production, Broadcasting and Training Company