[cma-l] Broadcasting: Digital Radio - House of Lords Debate 23/01/14

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jan 23 10:18:21 GMT 2014

Baroness Bakewell (Labour)
++
My Lords, first, I apologise for trying to shout down my friend the
noble Baroness, Lady Benjamin. In light of the fact that old people
depend so much on radio specifically, and on good transmission as they
get older and deafer and need local information from local stations,
could the agenda of the Government in this regard not also plead the
care agenda?

Lord Gardiner of Kimble (Conservative)
++
I am sure that what the noble Baroness has said is very much in the
Government’s mind. I certainly recognise that many of the more elderly
members of the population rely on the radio. There is also a great
place for community radio, which is very popular, and if there were
any consideration of switchover we would consider reserving part of
the FM spectrum so that that local community radio could continue as
long as was needed.

Hansard source:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201314/ldhansrd/text/140122-0001.htm#140122-0001.htm_spnew14

\\