[cma-l] Closure of Stroud FM

Martin Parry martin.parry at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 18:12:42 GMT 2014

understanding of it's history:
 -
Swindon Viewpoint had a license from 1973 and started up a community
television operation that year. Viewpoint has always been non-partisan as
far as the medium is concerned and focused more on the social value and
community access and engagement ethos. Accordingly it was quite happy and
keen to pioneer Community Radio a couple of years later - seeing it as a
way to extend that very same ethos and appeal to a wider range of the
community.

It did so very successfully and ran a community radio operation for a
number of years (you can see it in operation for yourself  here:
http://www.swindonviewpoint.com/video/look-radio-swindon-viewpoint ) It was
very popular and never short of volunteers (I'm sure you won't be surprised
to hear that) and only faltered some years later because Viewpoint hit a
funding crisis and lost its base. Efforts then fell back on maintaining a
core operation, but Viewpoint would still happily support a community radio
arm and sees community radio and community TV as absolutely complementary.

I think we all need to remember that its the ethos that matters, which ever
way we can put it into practice.

Martin