[cma-l] CR and the 50%

Terry Doyle terrydoyle at nnbc.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 10:30:59 GMT 2014

Hi Trevor,

I hear with your points particularly about speech content... but you present a utopian view. I share an observation with you that is worth noting about speech radio locally. You desire more speech content and less music yet you argue that stations don't have money. you're right, they don't! You want local speech output to define community radio, yet it is the most expensive to create and the most difficult to sustain. It simply is not sustainable. That is why music plays such a large part of community radio output... its cheap!

Radio 4 costs £249000 a day (yes! just one days output) to run and that does not account for transmission... (source BBC published accounts) How many community radio stations could you run for that?

You cannot compare Radio 4 with Community Radio and to suggest that any community station can provide decent speech content consistently 24 hours a day is not possible. Why? Cost... Its not viable and never could be. Perhaps you should read some of the articles about community radio programming at my blog www.terrysthoughts.tdoyle.co.uk

A practical solution is cost effective, well packaged, locally relevant speech content combined with local news and information mixed with a well managed music policy. No restriction on cash into the station and a strong implementation of all other social gain directives as outlined in key commitments... That is workable!