[cma-l] Preparation

James Cridland james at cridland.net
Thu Dec 18 23:19:23 GMT 2014

In 1991-1995 I did some work for HWD Hospital Radio in Dewsbury (and was
both Engineer and Programme Manager for a short while). The organisation
was fairly hand-to-mouth, but the studios looked very impressive and
nothing looked Heath Robinson. No errant wiring, neat carpet on the walls,
good lighting and a decently-sized studio, with decent carpentry and
everything.

As a result, none of the guests ever left thinking "mickey mouse outfit";
and we were able to get significantly more donations from local businesses
than we'd have had if we were in a shed or a caravan.

I also visited CFM in Carlisle once. Built in a Portakabin in the car park
of Border TV, it was rather more "mickey mouse" than HWD!

A healthy office space is good for the people who work on the station, good
for potential funding organisations, and in many cases makes the station
sound better, too. I don't think there's much benefit in pretending
otherwise.