[cma-l] New Open Government and Civic Technology Facebook Group

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Thu Apr 3 03:11:58 BST 2014

We've recently launched a new bridge building, very global Facebook
Group on Open Government and Civic Technology.

Join in (and be our 1,000th member):

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/opengovgroup/

Our key strategy is to connect an emerging generation of "digitally
native" elected officials with the growing open government movement.

All over the world, starting at the local level, candidates are using
Facebook aggressively to connect with voters and then their
constituents. Their instincts toward more open engagement are just,
that instincts.

To convert their excitement about communicating with constituents via
Facebook into adopting open data policies or ensuring political
decisions that lead to the release of X or Y data set, we need to
connect them with the broader open government movement and other
interested elected officials. Candidates making open government
pledges while campaigning are far more likely to push innovation
forward if elected than those who don't.

Using a Facebook Group and knowledge/inspiration hub is about
"location, location, location." It is just one click to join.

Since many of you are "friends" with a "wired" elected official or
political leader, once you join, use the Facebook's invite/add feature
to bring on those elected officials and political staff you think would
be interested.

Thanks,
Steven Clift
E-Democracy.org

P.S. On a related note, see my recently presentation on raising new
voices in civic engagement online: http://bit.ly/newvoicesvideo
Also, civil servants, researchers, and civil society groups are very
very welcome and will likely be the bulk of members. You are all
very welcome.

Join from:

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/opengovgroup/