[cma-l] Ofcom consultation: UHF and VHF spectrum planning

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 17:36:57 BST 2013

Does Ofcom actually publish the full criteria for assessing the availability of channels with regard ot possible interference? I don't think I have ever come across it. If they don't then I would suggest feedback in the consultation could include that they review the requirements according to the performance of reasonably modern radios, and publish an updated policy on the matter.

Industry Canada has an admirably clear and comprehensive document setting out the criteria for assessing channel availability at http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf09951.html.

At a quick scan through didn't reveal any concern at all for IF image protection, and I also noticed that the interference protection contours are assessed using 50% confidence levels for field strength, whereas I believe Ofcom uses a 90% confidence, which of course results in a far bigger potential zone of intereference from any given transmission.

In the US, the FCC goes one step further by making a "Low Power FM Channel Finder" tool publicly available. It is designed to give potential applicants "a simple means to tentatively identify FM broadcast channels available in their area." They also have a zoomable nationwide map to give an idea of how many LPFM channels may be available in any given area. They do apply separation requirements in respect of second adjacent and +/-10.7MHz channels. www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/low-power-fm-channel-finder

Alex