[cma-l] Deducing FM listening figures

Darren Jenkinson Darren at DigiEnable.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 11:12:49 BST 2013

We've just completed a project for a community radio station
to establish their listening figures. However the station wanted qualitative as
well as quantitative feedback. So we conducted a city wide survey as well as a
series of focus groups, to find the information they wanted. This went way
beyond the sort of information that RAJAR would gather and at a fraction of the
price.

I suppose it comes down to why you want the numbers. I
worked in community radio for 12 years and spoke to a number of potential
advertisers over that time. They wanted to know “How many people are listening?”
and “What’s the Demographic?” They don’t care about reach or comparative data
between stations.

We delivered this project because the station wanted the
information to come from an “outside” agency to give it validity and show it as
an unbiased piece of work, but also because they managed to attract some
funding to enable the project to take place.

Additionally, as we were being paid to conduct the research
we were perhaps more committed to delivering the project well and on time,
which as I’m sure you’re all aware can slip when you have a full time station
to run.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that RAJAR doesn't make
sense to me, certainly not for community radio. As Andy said, it’s not just
about the numbers although that is the headline that most people want, collect
the qualitative as well (what do people enjoy, what could be improved).

Some key points from conducting our own survey:-

It has to be face to face – Online surveys usually tend to reach
the people who already know about you. Get a table at a schools fun day; attend
a community fair, you will get a much more realistic range of statistics this
way.

Offer a prize – It only needs to be small but it encourages
more people to take part.

Get a decent sample size – Surveys which are filled in by
50-100 people tell you very little. We survey just short of 500 people for a
TSA of 170,000. This means the results are accurate within a 5% range. If you
want to work out what this would be for your area there is a calculator here http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Data entry is a nightmare – Unfortunately, there isn’t
really a way around this and this is where you really need dedicated staff or
volunteers. Unless, you are paying someone else to do it, in which case that’s
their problem.

Darren

Darren Jenkinson
07958327516