[cma-l] Community Radio Licence Applicants – Region 5 west and south Yorkshire, Humberside and north west England

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 16:47:07 BST 2013

Dear Ian

Many thanks for your email.

The CMA is very concerned on behalf of all stations that cannot be given a
frequency to broadcast under the current rules implemented within the UK
Planning Model (UKPM). To that end the CMA has submitted a response to
Ofcom's "Call for inputs to Ofcom’s plans for the potential procurement of
models, tools & services on UHF and VHF spectrum
planning"<http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/uhf-vhf-spectrum-planning/>that
closed on 4th October.

The CMA's position has been to request for a relaxation of the protection
ratios used in the UKPM in order to accommodate more broadcast radio
frequencies. The CMA cannot pre-empt the outcome of Ofcom’s consultation
which has only very recently closed but we hope that the results of the
consultation will yield more frequencies being available for community
broadcasters, particularly in those areas most affected by scarcity of
frequency.

Our original press release was written in the spirit of celebrating the
vigour and continued interest in community broadcasting, and the CMA will
continue to work with Ofcom, on behalf of existing and prospective
community radio broadcasters to develop a healthy and vibrant sector that
can sustain many more stations and can permit new broadcasters in those
areas currently deemed as 'over-subscribed'.

With best regards

Bill
--
Technical Operations Manager