[cma-l] Community broadcaster named by IoS in top 101 influential LGBT people

Melita Dennett melita.dennett at bbc.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 10:20:58 BST 2013

Morning all,

The Independent on Sunday has listed Kathy Caton, producer and presenter of RadioReverb's "Out in Brighton" as one of its 101 most influential people in its annual "Pink List", announced on 13.10.13.

Out in Brighton is only LGBT radio show on the city's airwaves, featuring a range of subjects from theatre to health.

Kathy Caton said, "I'm absolutely delighted to be named on the Pink List with such an amazing collection of people.  I've loved being able to use Out In Brighton to get LGBT voices and stories on air that you don't get to hear on mainstream media - I've met amazing activists, community workers, artists and musicians through doing the show - it's a privilege to help get those voices heard."

Melita Dennett, Director of RadioReverb said "I am pleased that Kathy has been acknowledged for her work in giving a voice to people marginalised by mainstream media, She's developed an engaging show which deals sensitively and intelligently  with subjects like living with HIV, LGBT arts and culture and stories from Trans people told in their own words."

Out in Brighton is broadcast every Wednesday 5-6pm on 97.2FM in Brighton & Hove and online at www.radioreverb.com.

**********ENDS*************

NOTES TO EDITORS

1. RadioReverb 97.2FM is Brighton & Hove's community radio station, entirely run by volunteers and broadcasting full-time on the city's airwaves since 2007. RadioReverb is also home to the UK's only Transgender show on FM, "Time 4 T".
www.radioreverb.com

2. The Independent on Sunday "Pink List" was first published in 2000, as a list of 50 influential people who were brave enough to be "out". This year they received more than 1,300 nominations and had to reduce thousands of potential contenders to just 101. The judges
decided that a Pink List contender can no longer simply be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender and famous. They need to make a difference.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/the-independent-on-sundays-pink-list-2013-8876183.html

3. Out in Brighton is live 5-6pm every Wednesday, repeated 10pm Wednesday, 8am Thursday and 11am Saturday.  Link to a short video about Out in Brighton http://vimeo.com/56053027

http://www.radioreverb.com/out-in-brighton-in-the-news

http://www.bbc.co.uk