[cma-l] Radio Training courses

Cormac Lawler cormac at radioregen.org
Wed Nov 20 17:13:40 GMT 2013

Hi Paul,

I'm currently putting together a resource that aims to help community radio stations figure out what training courses they could offer, and navigate the funding/revenue landscape around training.

I think you're looking for an accredited course teaching radio skills.... is that right? What kind of organisation are you - did you mean you are an Academy, or have an affiliation with one?

There are a number of NCFE radio courses that community radio stations have offered (or are offering) - see: http://www.ncfe.org.uk/qualification-search?search=radio&type=product&pagesize=25&orderBy=relevance

Another option would be an Arts Award - http://www.artsaward.org.uk - eg, I know SoundArt Radio have recommended these ( http://www.soundartradio.org.uk/archive/arts-award/ )

Another is Edexcel BTEC National Award/Certificate/Diploma in Media Production (Radio) - see: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/nat/media/Pages/default.aspx

There are a range of other options - the relevance/accessibility of each will depend on whether you are going to be delivering these courses yourself, or through partnership with another organisation (eg College). There are funding implications for going down each route. Also, depending on which option you choose, you may need to register to be an accredited centre.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? What kind of information would be useful for you in making your decision? I suppose, in general, the main questions that will shape this decision are: who are your learners (and what do they need), and what capacity do you have to deliver training?

More widely, what are other stations doing? I'd be interested to hear what courses/programmes other stations are offering, and what experiences you've had in delivering training, and getting funding for (or generating revenue through) training.

All the best,

Cormac

Cormac Lawler
Connect:Transmit co-ordinator
www.connecttransmit.org.uk
0161 234 2799

Radio Regen
46 Oldham Street, Green Fish Resource Centre, Manchester, M4 1LE
www.radioregen.org

Registered Charity No 1077763