[cma-l] Mixers

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 17:45:26 GMT 2013

The 'bigger brother' Airlab that we use is modular, although we just filled it from the start and didn't need to make any changes along the way. The triple-input modules are very adaptable to needs. It also has the ability to save its configuration to a smart card (like a chip-and-PIN card) or over a computer connection, so all the internal preset values and settings for red lights etc can be quickly restored after any loss or uneducated fiddling!

The first part of our training of new presenters is to look along the row of equalization and gain etc knobs and check they are all pointing to 12 o'clock, and it's never been a great problem. Some presenters do love to turn up the bass, sadly unaware that the transmission processor is likely to compensate by going easier on the bass in reaction!

One tip - the knobs are push on with splines to stop them slipping, so it is easy for the studio manager to set up all the gains etc to their preferred default position, then lift off each knob and push them back down rotated so that the index mark points to 12 o'clock, so that the users can be told to leave all set to 12 o'clock as a starting point. We do that with all the preset gain controls and it works a treat.

The most frequent operator problem we have had is that the telco channel can very easily be turned on or left on when someone checks that all the regular channels are on. This of course takes the phone off the hook, and they get no calls or text messages until somebody reports it constantly engaged. Similarly if a call has been taken on air it is too easy for the presenter to forget to drop the line.

One other, less frequent, accident is that if a presenter decides to work more 'snappily' by starting channels withn the channel-on button with the fader already open they soemtimes press the cue button by mistake, and of course they hear the track as normal even though the listener hears nothing, so they may not notice quickly or at all that the music is not going out. Of course, when the present then opens the mic at the end of the track, the Cue drops out automatically and they hear themselves, so they may not realize even then that they had been the only one hearing the track!

But overall we have found it trivially easy to train all-comers on the Airlab desk, all ages and backgrounds.

Modern digital desks such as my preferred Axia ones have the advantage of hiding all the lesser-used controls behind option buttons and alphanumeric readouts, but they do lose that ability for experienced users to 'drive the desk in your sleep' by just reaching out to a familiar knob to twiddle a specific parameter.

Alex