[cma-l] Abandon digital radio switchover plans, stations tell ministers

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Mon Nov 11 15:59:51 GMT 2013

Thanks for this Alex.

The CMA's response is below. This has been sent to John Plunkett at The
Guardian, Digital Radio UK, and we have been advised that Radio Today will
add it to their website by this evening:

The Community Media Association and our community radio station members
welcome progress on digital migration for the national and large regional
radio stations and we note that there is no intention by the government to
"switch off" analogue radio. Freeing up of the FM spectrum will create new
opportunities for community stations and small independents.

The possibility of low cost DAB, as demonstrated in a research project for
Ofcom earlier this year, provides a potential solution for those community
stations and other small broadcasters which want to go onto DAB in the
future.

In the meantime FM broadcasting remains healthy for the foreseeable future
and provides listeners with an ideal complement to digital radio in terms
of increasing choice.

Best regards

Bill Best

Canstream Internet Radio & Video