[cma-l] Naughty word OK by Ofcom?

Andy King andy.king at commedia.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 13:06:56 GMT 2013

This may be an opportune time to note that the CMA has a deal with a
company called I Like Music For Media, who are able to supply high-quality,
PRS cleared, *clean radio edited* copies of tracks to radio stations. CMA
Organisational Members are able to access this service at a 10% discount:

http://media.ilikemusic.com/ilm-media/

Presenters should never take their own copies of CD albums, compilations
etc into the studio or load them onto a playout system unless there is
absolutely no other way of obtaining the song - in which case, the song
should be listened to intently prior to broadcast to check for swearing or
other inappropriate material (drug references, explicit sex references
etc). In the case of the Travie McCoy song broadcast on HCR, the radio edit
has the offensive word replaced with the more innocuous "frickin'", for
example.

Cheers
Andy

On 17 December 2013 11:29, Phil Korbel <phil at radioregen.org> wrote:

> Dear friends
>
> There's good learning to be had in the latest Ofcom Bulletin - comparing
> the fate of Halton Community Radio with Siren FM - both used the 'F-word'
> on air - one was in breach and the other 'resolved'.  We've a brief
> commentary here
>
> http://www.communityradiotoolkit.net/news/the-f-word-ok-by-ofcom/
>
> best wishes
>
> Phil