[cma-l] Ofcom awards community radio licences

Tony Bailey studio at ravensoundradio.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 12:36:03 GMT 2013

Ian, et al,

Frequency availability, although sometimes quoted, should not so far as
I am aware form any part of licensing assessment.  In my opinion
"sallie" or alternative location licensing has always been legally
questionable in the context of the ILR process, which required
competition for a licence in a given geographical area. The application
of a similar process for community radio would be also, since community
radio licences are not supposed to be a contest as each separate
coverage area is defined by the applicant.  The option of sharing exists
where coverage overlaps. It seems to me that little attempt has been
made in the past to encourage groups to share resources.

Further....

Like many applicants we've been involved in ILR, Sallie and community
radio applications. Radio licence beauty contests, by their nature are
open to subjective interpretation.  It started with panel interviews in
a four star hotel, then it was a part time closed committee and now...?
We did get a written response on one occasion, it ran to about nine pages.

Regards,  Tony Bailey

On 13/12/13 10:05, Andy King wrote:
> Ian,
>
> In this particular situation (as in many other areas around the
> country) it appears that the three stations are in the same or
> adjacent areas, in this case the southern part of Northumberland, and
> there is one frequency available in that area.
>
> This is now effectively a competitive bidding process for a single
> frequency, analogous to the "Sallie" small scale commercial radio
> licensing which took place in the 90s and early 2000s. We can see
> similar situations taking place in Region 5, with one frequency
> available in each of Huddersfield/Spen Valley, Sheffield and
> Crewe/Nantwich - mainly frequencies vacated by commercial and
> community radio stations which have ceased broadcasting. There are
> multiple applicants in each of these areas.
>
> Anyway, as far as I remember, when commercial radio licensing took
> place, the reasons for /not/ awarding a licence were not published by
> the Radio Authority - only the reasons /for /awarding the licence to
> the successful applicant. This is the same with community radio - the
> factors in favour of the successful applications are published, but
> only a brief note listing those groups who have not been successful.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>

> On 12 December 2013 18:06, Ian Hickling <transplanfm at hotmail.com
> <mailto:transplanfm at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Once again, the situation has arisen where one Applicant has been
>     granted a Licence and two others in the same area have been refused.
>     If it's anything like past experience, Ofcom will say that it will
>     not reveal its reasoning and the decision is irreversible.
>     Do we find this acceptable in this modern environment of Freedom
>     of Information?
>     After all, the process must surely need to be seen as open and
>     democratic - and it's hardly a matter of National Security.

>     From: cma-l at commedia.org.uk <mailto:cma-l at commedia.org.uk>
>     Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:37:06 +0000
>     To: cma-l at commedia.org.uk <mailto:cma-l at commedia.org.uk>;
>     comradio-l at commedia.org.uk <mailto:comradio-l at commedia.org.uk>
>     Subject: [cma-l] Ofcom awards two new community radio licences in
>     Northern England
>
>     Ofcom has announced the award of two new community radio licences
>     in the north of England.
>
>     Licences have been awarded to Candofm, for a service in
>     Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, and to Koast Radio, for a service in
>     Ashington, Northumberland.
>
>     Ofcom has awarded community radio licences to:
>
>     Candofm (Furness College)
>     Website: www.candofm.com <http://www.candofm.com/>
>
>     Candofm will provide a community radio service for
>     Barrow-in-Furness and the surrounding area, aimed at 16-40 year olds.
>
>     Koast Radio (Koast Radio Limited)
>     Website: www.koastradio.co.uk <http://www.koastradio.co.uk/>
>
>     Koast Radio will provide a community radio service for the town of
> [...]

Local Reports 24/7 at http://www.ravensoundradio.co.uk

Raven Sound Bromley UK

Call or Text: 0775 896 2392
Int: +44 775 896 2392

Skype: ravensoundradio

Raven Sound is a voluntary sector community media project

This email is for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email. No guarantee is provided that this email or any attachments are free of viruses.