[cma-l] PRS fees

Ed Baxter ed at resonancefm.com
Fri Sep 23 11:33:54 BST 2011

Dear all,
The PRS suggests community stations "choose up to three commercial
radio stations that your playlist is similar to" with a view to them
allocating money to composers featured on said stations. I wonder
where this idea orginated. Might it not be apposite that the fees
community stations pay to the PRS are allocated to the PRS for Music
Foundation, which as a charity and an innovative supporter of new
music shares many of the aims and aspirations of community media
platforms.
None of the commercial stations play anything like the music that
Resonance plays. Nor do we have "playlists". We favour music not
represented by any other stations in the UK. It is important to us
that PRS fees are going to the correct kind of songwriters and
composers. I see no relevance or point in sharing them among the kind
of nostalgic MOR artistes and the ragbag purveyors of reactionary
claptrap generally favoured by UK commercial stations.
I suspect this will elicit a groan among the people at PRS, who like
everyone else surely want an easy life, but wonder what others in CMA
think.
Yours
Ed
--
Nominee, Sony Radio Academy Awards 2010 "Station Programmer of the Year"
Runner-up, PRSF New Music Award 2008

Resonance104.4fm is not-for-profit (UK registered charity no. 290236)
and is funded entirely by grants and voluntary donations. The Guardian
calls it “the best radio station in London”; the Village Voice, “the
best radio station in the world”. You can support the station’s
continued growth with a secure donation via www.resonancefm.com