[cma-l] Offensive language on radio - how to avoid the pitfalls

RJ THORNE rj.thorne at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 22 16:40:21 BST 2011

Little guy, scant resources, makes a mistake and broadcasts a few "f" words,
apologises,tightens up procedures, found in breach.

Big guy, resources coming out of its ear, makes a mistake  and broadcasts a "f"
words, apologises, tightens up procedures, not found in breach.

In the end in both instances the listener got a few "f" words. Effect on ears
the same from both. As a complainee do I care what they'd done before or after
the incident? - no I don't, I just care that my little Johnny has been
traumatised.

And what are the mitigating circumstances that got big guy off?  - a complex and
auditable procedure that didn't work!

So maybe the lesson here is to put in a large, complex and auditable procedure,
make sure that all documents, tick boxes, email etc are filled in and stored for
posterity and then relax. Because as long as you've followed it you'll be safe
when it doesn't stop you breaking the broadcast code.

I fell foul of the Black-Eyed peas myself once. As the track concerned was on
the playout system I assumed it was ok. After about 30 secs the fader got
rapidly retracted just as the Station Manager flew in through the door. As the
office was in the next door building I was well impressed with how fast he got
there!.

Seriously though, any "honeymoon period" there may have been for Community
Radio with Ofcom is good and over.  There is (to my mind anyway) a definite move
towards tighter regulation of CR now and we've just got to accept it and work
with it.

I think Ofcom are overreacting on offensive language anyway, its not like its a
huge problem.  They'd be better concentrating on gettig through the rest of the
third round applications.....

Roger