[cma-l] Offensive language on radio - how to avoid the pitfalls

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Thu Sep 22 10:21:51 BST 2011

That's not really a like-for-like comparison.  Broadcasting a song
with the f word at 10am is not the same as letting an unlicensed
driver take a minibus full of disabled kids at 90mph down a packed
urban street - or did I miss something?  The better comparison would
be an insistence that all drivers have to have their licence with them
when they go out on the road.  It avoids an offence, but that's it.

It's strange how this debate seems to have been polarised into "abide
by the rules" or "ignore the rules".  I don't think I have said
"ignore the rules".  What I was trying to highlight (obviously not
very effectively) was that systems of rules generally develop and
evolve to the point where they favour those with the greatest capacity
to implement them - and the fact that Ofcom want a special meeting
about offensive language in songs raises some concerns for me that
they might be wanting greater regulation.

Anyone who has studied sociology may have come across the concept of
'expert systems' - systems that implicitly bar the non-experts from
participating.  The legal system is an obvious example, but in other
fields a system of rules that is formed to control and regulate will
tend to reflect the values and priorities of those who create the
rules.  In a consultational environment where 'stakeholders' get to
have a say, it tends to be the largest organisations who have the
capacity to make heavyweight submissions, challenge the rules they
don't like, and push towards rules that preferably give them a
competitive advantage.  Food hygiene is an obvious case - the
supermarkets will help devise rules to increase hygiene standards via
pre-packaging, sterile environments etc because they know that while
it will cost them a bit more, it will be an impossible level of
compliance for smaller competitors to achieve - so a system that is
set up to protect the public's health ends up forcing out smaller
players and consolidating the market position of the largest players.
Over time of course it levels out, smaller competitors re-emerge who
can absorb the regulations etc - but the rules still create
significant barriers to market entry.  (and please don't take that to
read that I am proposing that poisonous food be sold on the shelves!)

My concern with the offensive language debate (or similar situations)
is that extensions (stress: extensions) to the rules / enforcement /
expectations will tend, possibly through unintended consequences, to
favour the larger players with the capacity to absorb the
requirements.  Some community stations may have the capacity /
inclination / drive to digest that higher level of regulation and the
BBC obviously have the people with the time to do the auditable risk
analysis etc that gets them off the hook.  But as a station that
broadcasts to a small rural community (where it's inevitable that
presenters know the listeners) we simply don't want to offend - it's
not good for business!  99.x% of the time I am sure that we don't, but
the reality of the situation is that sometimes we might, and if we do
we apologise, we take counter-measures, and we move on.  And because
of where we are, that works.  What I would hate to have is added
layers of intervention and bureaucracy that would support (possibly
lone or vindictive) complainants who have taken offence, that result
in investigations and in the process  take up huge amounts of our
time, and ultimately curtail our ability to provide social gain and a
service of value to our community.

And the reality check on the whole thing: my 6 year old son is
probably exposed to language on his way to school that is infinitely
worse than anything we (or others) broadcast.  In a world where media
is increasingly delivered by the unregulated internet, this could be
about layers of rules that actually make no difference whatsoever to
the world we live in!

Julian <ducks>

* In some ways this debate is not the best use of my time either, but
it concerns broad principles of regulation which I believe are
important so its worth spending a bit of time thrashing them out