[cma-l] Offensive language on radio - how to avoid the pitfalls

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 19 12:00:21 BST 2011

Julian

We take similar steps to yours - but on occasions something will slip through. Are we to be the final arbiters? Or is some other authority required? The Lord Chamberlain lost his authority in this liberated age.

We have a simple contract with presenters that includes their agreement that they will not swear, speak only of that which is decent, honest and true - which probably provides some cover for the station. It shows evidence of our intent, at least. There's also an insurance policy.

It's easy to get paranoid about the rules and regulations. Our Practices and Procedures Manual is already uncomfortably heavy, and impossible to comply with absolutely.

However, take some comfort. It's unlikely that any constructive action will be taken against you - your influence is not worth the effort - or the expense (so the argument to authority, your MP and your listeners should suggest).

Be prepared to issue an immediate apology if an error does occur. Rectify the situation immediately. Try to keep it quiet and if not publicly hang, draw and quarter the miscreant to discourage others.

Above all - smile and be happy whilst bowing obsequiously to anyone that has an authoritative air.

Finally remember Jonathan Ross is always available as a role model.

I know my advice will help!

Trevor