[cma-l] Charity limited company

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Sun Sep 11 21:57:25 BST 2011

Dear Claire

Various of the respondents are correct - it is relatively easy to register
your Company Limited By Guarantee as a charity provided that your company
Memorandum & Artilcles have a charitable Objects Clause.  Many community
radio stations and other community media organisations have that structure.
Best to check through with e.g. your local CVS, Voluntary Action etc who can
give advice on exact wording etc.  Many charitable funders do not recognise
CICs however much we think they should.

If you register as a charitable company then you can have the best of both
worlds!  We have a couple of resources given to us by members that may help,
in terms of how they have phrased their objects clauses both for the company
limited by guarantee and the charitable objects.

Please do get in touch if you would like more information on this.

Best wishes

Jaqui

On 10 September 2011 09:33, claire penketh <clairepenketh at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

>  Stroud FM, currently a company limited by guarantee, is thinking about
> becoming a charity limited company. Had a quick chat with OFCOM re
> implications for our licence, which is held in the name of Stroud Community
> Radio Limited and they said that we will have to keep the current ltd
> company and set up the charity alongside, because the charity isn't a body
> coperate. Then they suggesed I ask the CMA what other members do, so here I
> am. However, I think a charity limited company is a body corporate? But, if
> the licence is held by Stroud community Radio limited, does that mean we
> still have to keep the company, or could the licence be transferred to the
> charity limited company?
>
> Yours, confused.
>
>  Claire Penketh, Stroud FM

*Jaqui Devereux*