[cma-l] Adverts on Canalside Radio

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:05:26 BST 2011

Nick
I am fully supportive of what you want to achieve.
So I think I am in Category 7?
This doesn't go against all the other stuff I've written in this subject - because it would seen to me that if you are broadcasting ads free of charge, then it's no different from the advertiser talking about his product in an interview.
You are not obtaining pecuniary advantage from airing an ad so you are not taking revenue from it - which suggests that you have not broken the spirit of the advertising restriction under which your Licence is issued.
I agree that the "No Advertising" and the "50% Rule" restrictions were bad legislation in the first place and should never have been included in the Regulation. I see it as no more than sour grapes from the then CRCA to attempt to defend the indefensible.
My one concern is that breaking a law is not the way to get it changed.
That said, you have given fair notice of what you intend to do, and if you have not been cautioned of the severity of your intention or of your liability to legal action, then you could say that approval has been given by lack of opposition.

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK