[cma-l] The BBC to fund DAB coverage up to 97%.

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:37:45 BST 2011

Martin
You appear unfortunately to be aligning with the Government and the Media in assuming that "DAB" equals "Digital" in general and "Digital Terrestrial Broadcast Radio" in oparticular.
It doesn't.
DAB is one particular format out of the six presently used in the distribution of "radio" programming in the UK - none of which is compatible with any of the others.
Please don't use the term "DAB" as synonymous with "Digital".
That would be the same as saying "Ford" when you mean any make of motor car - not particularly accurate.
DAB was chosen many years ago as the format for use in the UK and is now seen in the Industry as a dead end - incapable of sensible expansion - and rejected by almost every other broadcasting organisation on the planet.
How on earth can I make this any clearer?
DAB is a dead duck.
The words "blue" and face" come to mind!

The only real advantage of digital radio broadcasting is that it can supply many more programme streams than an analogue system within a given amout of electromagnetic spectrum.
A subsequent abvantage is that it can produce usable quality audio from a considerably lower received signal level.

Your concept of "platform agnostic radio devices and EPG" is highly laudable - execpt for one vital factor.
Any receiver relies of the availablity of the information it is seeking.

If we ignore Long Wave, Medium Wave and Short Wave reception:
An FM receiver needs a minimum VHF Band II analogue signal level which is already present over the vast majority of the UK.
A current DAB receiver needs a considerably lower minimum VHF Band III digital signal level which is present in a large number of the higher population areas of the UK, but not available in large more remote areas and is unlikely ever to be so.
Wired domestic digital receivers rely on being hard-wired to a signal source or fixed-point reception of a TV signal.
An internet receiver needs either wired connection or a minimum SHF digital signal level from a Wifi point which is present only at certain specific higher population areas of the UK.
A satellite receiver needs a minimum SHF digital signal level which is only available within line-of-sight of a compatible satellite.
Take away the signal and the receiver simply won't work.
The user has to be conscious of the basic requirements of the equipment.

We are all so used to our mobiles working anywhere and everywhere that we assume everything else in modern communications technology will work in a similar way.
Sorry - it won't.
That's the major problem we all have to face - and the politicians and the media have to have drummed into them!
Until that happens, all the blustering and posturing is simply worthless and wasted hot air.
Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK