[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to communityradio law

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:17:46 BST 2011

Nick
I'm going to do this in public, because we're all fed up with your moaning.
No - actually - we do appreciate what you're saying.
Let's get some facts into this.

Firstly - about Key 103 - if it is that causing the problem.
That's on 103,0 at 347 metres AOD and an antenna elevation of 40m with an aggregate 4kW on Saddleworth Moor and you're on 102,8 with 25W at 153m AOD and 34m antenna elevation and an aggregate 48W at Bolligton - 27km due south with a complete geological signal block anywhere to the east of you.
103,0 is second adjacent to you, which providing you're both within specification, means no part of your transmission envelopes overlap more than at -60dB.
That is one millionth of full power level.

So - any cross-talk you're getting can only be attributed - forgive me for being blunt - to the use of crap radio receivers.
I'm sure you wouldn't want legislation introduced  to allow for that?
No fault of the rules, the broadcasters or of Ofcom.
There is a possible solution of moving your frequency either one channel further away from Key 103 or somewhere entirely different - but that's a much bigger exercise as I'm sure you'll understand.

Secondly - the so-called "crackle crackle hiss hiss crackle" is not being generated by you or by them.
It's your radio picking up other random signals which are of a level higher than the wanted one.
This may be because of low signal strength - or again the radio itself - or more likely its aerial aystem.
Again, not the fault of the rules, the broadcasters or of Ofcom.

Thirdly - your idea of upping power by 1W at a time. Beside it being completely outside any concept of engineering planning logic, it would do no good at all. Power (allied with propagation format) gets you penetration; height gets you range. So - to increase coverage area you'll need to provide your antenna with a better view of its target. Therefore more height - or an entirely new location. That's always assuming that you are actually emitting your full ERP, which in itself may be part of the problem.

Look - buy me a decent lunch and I'll spend a day with you looking at the problem and I'll do you a Spectrum Audit Scan which will show just how near or effective other broadcasters are. And I'll analyse your problem crackle/hiss areas too.
Then we might be able to come up with a good practical sound engineering solution.

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK