[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to communityradio law

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 21:57:09 BST 2011

"......I'm getting the impression that in practice, your signal depends as much on the mood and nature of the Ofcom engineer who appears on site as anything!......"

Gary - I'm surprised you committed that to writing as it appears to allege some form of arbitrary concession - or not - as the case may be.
The transmission system of every UK radio licensee is cleared nationally and internationally by Ofcom and is precisely specified in the Licence Conditions.
The Commissioning Engineer simply applies the parameters in his brief.
These are the same parameters that we as a facilitation company will have set up and tested to our own satisfaction before calling in Ofcom to evaluate and rubber stamp our work.
To suggest that the result is at the whim of an individual is not only ridiculous, it is an insult to the professionalism of the Ofcom Engineers on whom we all rely.

My own view from over 50 years' experience in antenna technology and 12 years' work in this particular field is that complaints of lack of satisfactory coverage are simply down to ignorance and/or bad planning.
Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK