[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to community radio law

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 15 10:46:29 BST 2011

One other point Alan/Gary - sorry.
Ofcom doesn't "......hide behind what they have called a ‘Policy’ to limit CR to 25 Watts ERP......"
If you look at the "Licensed" as opposed to "In Use" columns on TXParams, you'll find that almost all CRs are allocated a minimum of mixed polarity transmissions at the prime transmission site of 25W vertical plus 25W horizontal.
So the aggregate ERP is 50W - not 25.
You'll also see that very few either use, know how to use, or appreciate the value of horizontal polarity.
I agree that not many people understand that - or how to acheve it efficiently - but it remains one of the facts as opposed to the conjecture or the hearsay.
I will happily explain it either simply or in great detail to anyone who needs to know.
And - at the risk of being accused of commercial propaganda - explain how it can be achieved.

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK