[cma-l] Avoiding sexually-explicit songs

LOL GELLOR lolgellor at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 01:31:35 GMT 2011

Have read with interest and ultimately couldn't stop myself - well here goes

What follows is my personal opinion and in no way represents a CMA position, I say this mindful of my council membership. That would be a disclaimer - something we used to employ before, during and after programming that might be regarded as potentially offensive to listeners of Sound Radio when it operated as a licensed community radio station. This included programmes with language, lyrics and views outside of mainstream sensibilities.

The Sound Radio philisophical position regarding giving a voice to those at the margin, or on the other side of the margin, of society was we believed central to our reason for being. As a result what this discussion alludes to was at times included in our programming. For me one of the reasons, amongst many, for the pursuit of an additional form of radio broadcasting in the UK was to challenge mainstream mediation of what they considered okay . Much of the process of arriving at what is okay in the mainstream has resulted from a fear of what might possibly be considered in breach of  one law or another, rather than what is actually illegal, and that in addition to the cultural sensibilities of those running or owning mainstream media.

In amongst the opportunity for alternative analysis of local, national and world events from those in communities with a different perspective, there was/is also the opportunity for community radio to present alternative cultural and artisitc forms. It may well be that many of those involved in community radio share the sensibilites of mainstream broadcasters at least in terms of "language", and certainly a high proportion of the schedule for which I was responsible on Sound Radio I disagreed with, or just wasn't my cup of tea - that said I considered it my duty to fulfil our mission to present alternatives to the mainstream.

Before anyone feels the need to lecture me on the legal implcations in adopting this approach don't bother - I know what they are - the point is whether you feel that there should be an intelligent challenge to the status quo or whether you don't. In amongst the trials and tribulations of survival and day to day operation of a community radio station such principles - if they are relevant to those involved - can become functionally an additional problem best left for another time.

What am I saying - for those who feel there is any credence in my view of community radio as an opportunity to be truly different from the mainstream -  try to be as brave as you reasonably can - and for those who disagree try not to be too dismissive or judgemental of those who have a bash at pushing the boundaries.

P.S. Sound Radio ran out of money , before it exploded - if you look to the sky at night there's a little star that twinkles cheekily at the big ones.

Lol Gellor - the unexpurgated version hopefully