[cma-l] is there anybody in there?

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Thu May 26 09:27:23 BST 2011

Earlier this week I saw Ofcom's ruling about a breach of the
broadcasting code by a community station not far from here.

Apparently a request show was repeated, a member of the public called
in to speak to the presenter, was told that in fact the show was a
repeat, and so the said member of the public complained to Ofcom that
the station was in breach of rule 2.2 (not to materially mislead).
Instead of find the complaint malicious and trivial, Ofcom found
against the station and said that they had breached the trust of their
listeners.

This raised alarm bells for me as we repeat most of our programmes and
most invite listeners to email or text in with comments (and sometimes
requests). However, rarely, if ever, do presenters give a date stamp
during their programmes so the repeat could be perceived to be live
(although there is absolutely no intent to deceive or mislead and most
listeners know our schedule well enough or look at the website to see
if its live or not).  Equally some presenters, especially newbies,
often read out the contact details for want of something to say, but
then forget to check the emails (which could be construed as deception).

I raised the issue with Ofcom of this seemingly draconian
interpretation of rule 2.2 (introduced to stop broadcasters running
pseudo competitions on premium lines) and pointed out that, as a
community station staffed entirely by volunteers, we don't have the
capacity to monitor, enforce and edit everything to the level they
seem to be requiring.  I said that it would be likely to drive away
presenters and stop us repeating anything.  Surely, I said, Ofcom does
not want to constrain community broadcasters in this way.

They came back the same day (preferring to call rather than write) and
said it is indeed their intention to constrain broadcasters.  The way
around it, they said, is for any repeated shows to give a date
reference when inviting listeners to make contact.  Furthermore,
presenters must not invite contact if they are likely to forget to
check the messages.

I sent out an instruction to our presenters and already one has come
back saying it will destroy his spontaneity and, given that he can't
guarantee that a date reference will always be given, he is
withdrawing his repeats (4 hours of lost programming per week and many
saddened listeners).

I instinctively react against people banging on about nanny states,
red tape etc, but this seems absolute madness and inspires me to move
to Tunbridge Wells from where I shall write to my MP.

How does everyone else deal with the issue?

(And for the avoidance of doubt this is written live at 9:15am on
Thursday 26 May but I may be away from my desk when you reply)

Julian

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset, TA4 2JP
Hear us on 105.3fm & www.10radio.org

JM tel: 01984 623 104
Studio and office tel: 01984 624 137

For details of our training, team building, hire and broadcast
services, please go to www.10radio.com

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset,
TA4 2JP
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252