[cma-l] Frustration

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 10 16:26:45 GMT 2011

Nick

Last Sunday Prime Minister Cameron said he was on our side - fighting bureaucracy.

On Monday we were told that the council didn't recognise CICs so we had to pay full business rates for our studio, and anyway they hadn't noticed our antenna (stuck out the back of a disused railway station - which they say is listed). We applied for a little money from Activities Unlimited - that was rejected, and  Suffolk Foundation refused to proceed with our application for £2K from the Port of Felixstowe Fund because we had not included our CIC34 in the 32 page application.

Incidentally our accountant didn't know what a CIC34 was, and filed our accounts without it. Companies House are now demanding £750 for late filing!

Our local shopping street has just been destroyed by the council's 'shared space' scheme (£2.8 million); we agreed to help 37 retailers with a 'Return to Felixstowe' weekend. Our OB unit, Fire Brigade and Uncle Tom Cobley making it a street party.

We need to close the 'shared space' road to traffic. Local council insist we pay £400 insurance in case someone trips over our 'road closed' signs.

Just a normal week for a community station. We'd be better off all turning commercial - one presenter for a national station, hived off for local news - then we'd be loved by everyone.

Thanks Mr Cameron - it's clear everyone is listening to you.

Trevor