[cma-l] Mains power where there ain't any!

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 15:51:34 BST 2011

Sadly for us the cell bases here are no more reliable than the mains supply!

Worth noting that Android based mobile phone is also excellent for this -
especially for OB contributions. With a touch of a button the better models
can turn into a wi-fi router allowing other devices to connect and use 3G
access (or even very slow ordinary GSM access) just as if they were
connected to a router and a dongle. One less bit of kit to cart about, and
one less phone account! You do have to make sure your cellphone service
provider doesn't object to 'tethering' though - some tariffs do.

(I've also found it handy when away at a meeting in a room with no network
access for allowing others at the meeting to hook up and get their fix of
email/online diary etc!)

Unfortunately it's not of much use to us locally howerver for audio feeds as
there is no 3G service within 70 miles of us. So far however we've had no
problem finding helpful folks with houses in phone line or wi-fi range of
events willing to let us onto their connection for the duration. And being
in a rural area means we can generally trail wires across the ground without
bother for temporary events. For one annual event we trail out 200m of phone
line to the nearest house and take their router offline and put our own on
the end - more reliable than wifi without a lot of extra aerials etc, though
a bit of a fag rolling out 200m of phone line! We roll out a power lead at
the same time.

Alex