[cma-l] Mains power where there ain't any!

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 13:39:20 BST 2011

Yes there are lots of possibilities like that. Another 'off the shelf' one is just to lug a fully charged UPS on site - we have done that a few times.

But if your main power consumption is for a PA it's more efficient not to have to step up the power to 230V in the first place. We have a large plastic storage box with lid (so it is rainproof out in a field) that will take a car battery and a high power car audio amplifier (200W). Works a treat, and very high power car audio amps are really quite cheap! The box has carrying handles on two sides so can be easily carried on site. We use this sort of set up for outdoor field events.

A lot of small mixers etc are also able to be powered from 12V - a number of them are normally powered by a 12V 'wall wart' adaptor. Laptops of course usually have their own batteries capable of 2-6 hours.

Alex