[cma-l] The importance of online radio - CMA view

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 15:27:40 BST 2011

Dear all

I am writing in response to some of the messages put out re the conference
on Saturday.  For those of you who attended many thanks for enabling a
vibrant day.

The CMA's and my personal view of online radio is that it has an extremely
important role to play in the radio and online ecology, both for its output
and the opportunities it affords communities who are online.

At the conference we were asked why the people running Radio Player will not
accept online only stations to be included.  I can assure you that the CMA
has been pushing for online community stations (as well as RSLs) to be
included as you provide valuable broadcasting and you work within the
community broadcasting ethos as per the Community Media Charter.  As such if
anyone got the impression at the conference that I believe the online radio
services you provide are not worthwhile (or any other phrase being
attributed to me) then I apologise for not being clearer.  What I did say is
that the powers that be in the BBC are not currently willing to allow online
only broadcasters to take part as online broadcasting is not regulated under
the Broadcasting Code.

We will continue to push for there to be a mechanism for community radio
online broadcasters to be included on the Radio Player as we regard it to be
unfair that you are excluded, as do all of you.

Re the Canstream app, we are looking at ways to minimise the back end work
involved to include stations not streaming with us and hope to have some
news on that shortly.

Best wishes

Jaqui

--