[cma-l] reflections on the CMA conference

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 09:26:49 BST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marc Tierney <marc at tierney-online.co.uk>

Interesting comments, there.

I couldn't attend the conference at the weekend, however we are almost
forced into a situation whereby financially, online broadcasting is
the only way for us to go.  Pembrokeshire remains an area where the
over regulation of community radio means that if we were to get an FM
licence, we would be restricted in on air advertising.

I think the CMA should be doing everything in it's power to get these
restrictions removed.  After all, if anyone has seen the list of
restricted areas (by local station) in the latest round of FM
licences, you'd be hard pressed to find a station which isn't part of
a larger group, sharing resources and on air staff and selling
advertising across the group!

We need some fair play on this, and we need action sooner rather than later.

Marc
Director, Cleddau Community Media (Cleddau Radio).

+++++++