[cma-l] Spanish Radio Academy to propose to the UNESCO the founding of a "World Radio Day" within the International Days UN calendar.

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jun 10 12:58:18 BST 2011

Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC), since its
inception, has been advocating with the government and with other
organizations for the promotion of Community Radio to address critical
social issues at community level, such as poverty and social
exclusion, empowerment of marginalized rural groups and catalyze
democratic process in decision making and ongoing development efforts.

We would like to support the initiative of the Spanish Radio Academy
to propose to the UNESCO the founding of a “World Radio Day” within
the International Days UN calendar.

Since its launch more than a century ago, radio is free and accessible
to the majority of the world’s population. Radio deserves a World
Radio Day tribute. Undoubtedly, this date will be celebrated by radio
professionals and millions of radio listeners around the world.

We are agreeable to celebrate the “World Radio Day” on every 30th of
October. This date coincides with the broadcasting of one of the most
relevant and well-known radio programmes in the history of radio, The
War of the Worlds. This radio drama was directed by Orson Wells and
broadcast by CBS on the 30th of October 1938 and since then, radio
stations all over the world have produced versions in their own
languages.

We support the initiative of the Spanish Radio Academy to propose the
founding of a “World Radio Day” to the UNESCO.

We would be very happy if you initiate following activities through
your organisation:

1. Endorse and send support letter on behalf of your organisation -
pro forma letter of support is available at:

http://www.worldradioday.org/

2. Start lobbying your Government in line with National UNESCO
Commission in your country

4. Can we observe “World Radio Day” on every 30th of October

More information on World Radio Day:

http://www.worldradioday.org/

Looking forward to stay with you, regarding World Radio Day” on every
30th of October.

With Solidarity,

AHM. Bazlur Rahman-S21BR
Chief Executive Officer
Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC)
[NGO in Special Consultative Status with the UN Economic and Social Council]