[cma-l] From CMA Council - we are meeting this Saturday in Sheffield

Phil Shepherd phil at somersetfilm.com
Sat Jul 23 18:19:09 BST 2011

Hi Peter

Thank you for your feedback on the government¹s plans for local TV.   Your
view that an existing digital mutiplex with added localisation via Œadd
drop¹ will provide the best platform for local and community TV is a
persuasive one, depending of course on the detail of the contract between
the operator and the local stations.  For me, the potential near
universality of coverage in this scenario is the strongest aspect of the
argument.  It¹s crucial that public service broadcasting continues to be as
widely available as technically possible.  The future potential for IPTV is
undeniable but again universality of access is a long way off - and the high
access charges and technical thresholds for Youview ensure that this will
not be a viable option for most local and community services.

Your views usefully inform the CMA response to the DCMS ŒFramework for Local
TV in the UK¹ document ­ open for consultation with a closing date of 23
September.

With best wishes

Phil

Phil Shepherd