[cma-l] From CMA Council - we are meeting this Saturday in Sheffield

Phil Shep phil at somersetfilm.com
Thu Jul 21 23:25:37 BST 2011

Dear Members and Friends

The new Council meets this weekend in Sheffield.  I am looking forward to
getting together with existing and new members to discuss the issues of the
day and to support our staff in taking the next steps forward.   This summer
sees several new contracts in place that are directly benefiting some of our
licensed radio members as well as the core CMA service and I look forward
with optimism to seeing us grow from strength to strength from here on in.

For avoidance of doubt - at the AGM we discussed the fact that both
Treasurer Richard Hilton and myself as Chair were due to stand down from
Council this year, having each completed three consecutive terms, the
maximum allowed by our rules.  This issue had  already been discussed at
Council and it was agreed to propose that both of us remain in our executive
posts (of Treasurer and Chair) for a further 6-12 months and/or until such
time as succession can be worked through and other officers appointed.   At
the AGM it was agreed to mandate the newly elected Council to co-opt Richard
and myself in the way described at their next meeting if they felt the
proposal to be appropriate.  The co-option duly took place at the customary
brief Council meeting held in the late afternoon of the AGM day.

During this interim period Richard and I will not have a vote on Council but
will otherwise continue to conduct its business as before.  This has been
agreed as necessary because of the difficult period we have just been
through (for the last four years at least!) and the executive's need for
continuity in the hopefully now emerging transition to a more sustainable
model.

I look forward to helping make this a great year for the CMA and hope this
clarifies what is happening organisation wise.

Please let us know if you have anything you would like us to think about
when we meet on Saturday.  In particular, I would be interested in hearing
feedback on the government's new consultation paper on local TV.

Download it at <http://www.culture.gov.uk/consultations/8298.aspx>

Personally I agree with a lot of it although I believe the revised model
proposed will still not work well for communities in practice.  CMA and ULTV
are severally and jointly preparing responses so please let us know what you
think.

Hope to hear from you.

With best wishes

Phil