[cma-l] Fwd: Skillset and The Radio Academy launch innovative website to help young people find their Route into Radio

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jul 11 17:05:26 BST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nick Sheridan <Nicholass at skillset.org>
Date: 11 July 2011 11:25

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, 11 July 2011

Skillset and The Radio Academy launch innovative website to help young
people find their Route into Radio

Skillset and The Radio Academy are extremely proud to unveil Route
into Radio, a new website to help young people find out more about
careers in radio through a range of video case studies of people
currently working in the industry.

The main feature of the site, which has been created in partnership
with the BBC and RadioCentre, is a video wall that features advice on
getting into and getting on in radio from a wide range of radio
professionals.  These include broadcast assistants, producers,
journalists, engineers, sales executives as well as presenters such as
Aasmah Mir, co-host of BBC Radio 5 live Drive, and BBC Radio 1 DJ
Scott Mills.

The site also features written case studies, links to radio job
profiles, careers and work experience advice, industry information as
well as short films on radio production and technical skills.

Chair of Skillset’s Radio Skills Council and co-founder of the
cross-platform production company Somethin’ Else, Sonita Alleyne,
said: “The Route into Radio website is an exceptional resource that
will open up a world of insight and advice about our industry to
everyone who thinks a career in radio may be for them.”

John Myers, Chief Executive of The Radio Academy said: "I think it
shows what an important role both Skillset and the Academy play in
developing the Radio industry talent of the future. This is a great
step forward."

Caroline Elliot, the BBC’s Head of Strategic Operations and
Development, Audio & Music, said: "When people think of joining a
media company they often don't consider radio. The Route into Radio
website brings together in one place the great diversity of roles and
shows the opportunities available for everyone."

Chief executive of RadioCentre, Andrew Harrison, said: “This is
terrific news! Route into Radio is a great new resource for all those
interested in a career in radio.”

Scott Mills said: “Route into Radio breaks down the myths of how to
get into the industry.

“I wish I could have had people who were doing well at that time
telling me this is what you have to do.”

Route into Radio is the first step in an ongoing project to develop an
industry-recognised pipeline for young talent pursuing careers in
radio. Skillset will shortly announce the launch of the UK’s first
Foundation Degree in Radio Production, which is being developed in
conjunction with the Birmingham Skillset Media Academy and major
players within the industry to provide young talent with the most
up-to-date, industry-relevant skills available.

RiR website: http://www.routeintoradio.org

-Ends-

For more information contact

Skillset press and PR officer Nick Sheridan on 0207 713 9854 or
nicks at skillset.org

Out-of-hours: 0754 206 9110.

Notes to Editors:

· Skillset is the Sector Skills Council (SSC) for Creative Media, with
responsibility for 60 per cent of the UK Creative Industries. This
comprises TV, film, radio, interactive media, animation, computer
games, facilities, photo imaging, publishing, advertising and fashion
and textiles. SSCs are licensed by the UK Government and by Ministers
in the devolved administrations to tackle the skills and productivity
challenges by sector. They are independent, UK-wide organisations, are
employer-led, and actively involve trade unions, professional bodies
and other stakeholders in the industry.