[cma-l] US community media win diversity ruling

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Fri Jul 8 12:15:49 BST 2011

Congratulations to our community media friends in the US...

//
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 7, 2011

Contact: Brandy Doyle
Prometheus Radio Project
(215) 727-9620 x518
<mailto:brandy at prometheusradio.org>brandy at prometheusradio.org

Federal court rejects media consolidation in Prometheus vs. FCC
Ruling represents second historic victory for
Prometheus Radio Project this year

PHILADELPHIA – On Thursday, the U.S. Court of
Appeals for the Third Circuit issued its
long-awaited verdict in Prometheus Radio Project
v. the Federal Communications Commission,
rejecting the FCC’s attempt to further deregulate
media ownership. The Court threw out FCC rules
that would have allowed one company to own a
newspaper and broadcast stations in the same
market. The Court also upheld the FCC’s other
limits on local broadcast ownership, and agreed
with Prometheus and other public interest groups
that the FCC failed to consider the impact of its
rules on women and people of color.

"We won on almost every point. This decision is a
vindication of the public's right to have a
diverse media environment,” said Andrew Jay
Schwartzman of Media Access Project, who argued
the case on behalf of Prometheus.

This is the second major victory this year for
the Prometheus Radio Project, whose ten-year
effort to pass legislation expanding community
radio succeeded when President Obama signed the
bipartisan Local Community Radio Act into law on
January 4. The law will result in thousands of
new community radio stations, and the FCC will be
accepting applications for stations as early as next summer.

Both victories are the result of widespread,
bipartisan grassroots organizing. The Third
Circuit Court’s decision referred to the
testimony from thousands of people who
participated in FCC ownership hearings
nationwide, finding that the FCC failed to give
people adequate opportunity to weigh in on the rules.

“Media matters. Thousands of people fought to
pass the Local Community Radio Act, and thousands
more spoke out loudly when the FCC tried to
further consolidate broadcast media. We’ve won
these battles, but we must continue to push the
FCC to do the right thing for community radio.
Industry voices always have the ear of the FCC,
but thanks to the nationwide clamor for a better
media, we have their attention now,” said Brandy
Doyle, Policy Director at the Prometheus Radio Project.

On July 12, the FCC will again propose new rules,
this time to implement the Local Community Radio
Act. The rules must comply with a mandate from
Congress to ensure that channels will be
available for low power FM community radio in
urban markets. They will set a balance between
low power stations and translators, which repeat
the signals of larger stations. Prometheus and
other public interest advocates are working for
rules to give urban communities a voice on the airwaves.

“We look forward to seeing the FCC’s proposal on
July 12, and we are ready to push for stronger
rules if necessary,” said Doyle. “Commercial
broadcasters must share the airwaves with the
urban churches, schools, and non-profits who have
waited more than a decade to serve their communities with radio.”

Preparing for that opportunity, volunteers
nationwide are mobilizing community groups to
apply for stations through Prometheus'
<http://www.radiosummer.org>Radio Summer outreach campaign.

Prometheus first won its landmark case against
the FCC in 2003, blocking the FCC from
dramatically consolidating broadcast media
ownership. In 2007, the FCC tried to deregulate
the industry again, seeking to end a 35-year old
ban on newspaper/broadcast cross-ownership. Today
the Court rejected that effort.

In today’s win, Prometheus and Media Access
Project were joined by public interest allies
including Free Press, the Georgetown Institute
for Public Representation, Media Alliance and United Church of Christ.
###

The Prometheus Radio Project advocates for a more
just media system and builds low power community
radio as a tool for social justice organizing and
community expression. <http://www.prometheusradio.org>www.prometheusradio.org

--
Brandy Doyle
Policy Director

<mailto:brandy at prometheusradio.org>brandy at prometheusradio.org
w: 215.727.9620 ext. 518
c: 607.339.1759 <--try when you don't reach me in the office
<http://www.prometheusradio.org>http://www.prometheusradio.org