[cma-l] Community Radio Fund: award of grants for 2011/12 Round 1

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 14:14:48 BST 2011

I see what your saying Nick and I can understand what you mean..

However if you read the announcement this fund has become more about
sustainability and growth for stations. The way I read it they are happy to
fund for a post thats designed to bring in money to the station, and they
would hope that role becomes self financing and then some.. Ideally never
having to touch the fund again.. If every station had a ago at this (and
assuming that the market is sustainable in terms of business development as
well as grants) then after a few years everyone is taking enough money
to survive and grow.

Its that old corny tv advert, give a man a fish (eg pay your license fee and
split the grant between all stations) and he will eat for a day. Give him
the means to fish for himself (Development role) and he can feed himself and
his family for a lifetime...

Just my thoughts..

Martin