[cma-l] Sound Women

Caroline Mitchell caroline.mitchell at sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 10:49:14 BST 2011

Women have been activating in radio for a long time-and I am pleased to see this new group. I first discovered the benefit of joining together with other women in radio in the late 1970′s when I joined ‘Women’s Airwaves’ in London . This group gave me my first experience of feminism and was hugely important to me as a new entrant in radio when I needed support, training, mentors…. In 1992, with my radio sister Trish Caverly and 200 volunteers in Bristol, I set up Fem FM, a week long women’s radio station that proved that women could do everything in radio! This inspired other short term stations e.g.Brazen Radio in London, Radio Venus in Bradford. I edited a book called Women and Radio, Airing Differences (published by Routledge in 2000) to bring together research in this area- it was warmly endorsed by Dame Jenni Murray! Also, don’t forget the very active Women’s Radio Group that trains, broadcasts and supports women in London and beyond!
I’d love to be part of your network and if I can help bring together some of the experience of women’s radio activism, training, support from the past…
Caroline Mitchell Senior lecturer in Radio, University of Sunderland and independent community media researcher and trainer