[cma-l] FW: Apprenticeship Slot 8th Feb

Office - ccr-fm office at ccr-fm.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 19:22:40 GMT 2011

Dear All

You may remember my e-mail a couple of days ago regarding the ''no money''
situation and the census ....... In otherwords, the Community sector being
voluntary = loosely meaning    free-ride / gratis / second fiddle /
nonentity / poor perception etc etc .... this situation must clearly exist
!??     mustn't it ?    I continue to rack my brains to find an answer ..
But can't.

I get the odd direct response from my postings, but they are odd. My
personal perception of this, is that I actually hit on a nerve, point out
the facts and the reality ..... I state the things that people are thinking,
but they don't want to get involved for fear of rocking the boat.

My approach is coarse, rough at the edges and at times unprofessional ......
however, as I have pointed out if this is the only way I know to stand up
and be counted, then so be it.. We all have our own cross to bear and none
of us are perfect. I can though tell you that my heart is in the right place
and I am loyal.

With all of this in mind, I would like to send you an e-mail exchange that I
have just had with our local learning zone college. It is VERY RELEVANT and
could be an interesting read.

First of all though, I need to set the picture and briefly give you all some
history.

1)       In 2004 we approached the college to see if we could work together.
After being passed from pillar to post for about three months we gave up as
we very busy fund raising and setting up CCR.

2)       In 2005 we approached again offering training and placements in
return for ' a little tickle'   we were running an RSL ...... as it
happened, they did send us 6 students. We thought the students would be
coming down to our place with a teacher  ...... they didn't, and proceeded
to 'DUMP' these students onto us for 4 weeks ......... May I say, we
received no money at all !                      to make matters worse, the
students had got about as much chance of making it in the media industry as
I have of becoming Prime Minister !         yes they were that useless !
sorry, but a fact.

3)       Another approach was made in 2006 with further approaches that year
regarding our internet etc and then in 2008 / 2009 we really turned the
screw and tried to get them onboard ...... we did even try a marketing
approach as well as the community softly softly catch a monkey approach.

4)       2010 came along and we basically GAVE UP ............

5)       2011 arrives and suddenly out of the blue we receive an e-mail from
their marketing department wanting us to give them air-time to promote the
learners / apprentice weeks.  (we have done this before by the way)

Please be mindful that we have NEVER received a sausage from the college
...... in fact, I would go so far as to say they have been overall downright
rude over the years .not returning calls or e-mails etc         you may not
believe it but these were polite e-mails and polite calls ... I can be very
polite when needs be.... also remember that they have during all this time
been LOBBING money at the local commercial station and local paper etc .....
remember, this is the station (silk) that gets restrictions put on us and we
can't get the money but they do get the money and we are the ones with the
restrictions ............. ER ------ How the hell does that work then ?
(anyway, I digress)

So ...... this is where we are up to ..... Regardless of what you may think,
we are letting these people come along, and we will continue to do so, I do
a lot of barking, but I'm a big softy at heart .... we always give people
the community ethos .. It is what we do

Trouble is ... whilst we are ALL doing it, we are at the same time ALL being
treated like something that gets stuck under a shoe ......

 Please read the e-mail exchange now that the picture is set :-
I truly believe it sums up where most of us are at this particular Big
Society time .. bearing in mind that we have been Big Societying it for 7
years already.

I know it hurts, but I would be grateful of any observations or thoughts on
this matter please, be it via the message board or straight to us.

If I appear rude, then please accept my apologies ... I just feel that these
things need to be pointed out.

Start at the bottom and work back. You don't have to agree and if you do
disagree then tell me. Ian and Phil and a few of the others have taken me to
task ovewr the years on the odd things .. I do not have an issue with that
...... jolly good I say               well done chaps ... no hard feelings.

  _____